Thursday, April 24, 2008

Remodeling & Marriage!!!

Okay whomever thought you could blend the two was obviously not married! LOL My wonderful husband and I had the brilliant idea that we would do some updating to our home and boy let me tell you that is a learning experience. I have realized that the simple task of picking out a wall color can turn into a major event in our lives.

Anyway...we started with the living room and hallway last week. The lovely lady who lived in our house before us thought she would add a special feature to our home in the form of textured paint. Not only is it ugly it is also a wonderful treat to rub your arm against it and feel like sandpaper has been scrapped all over your body. Well me being the oh so smart woman said "we can just sand it down" and then paint over it. So my very patient hubby agreed and started sanding the hallway and boy was that a mistake!! I was beginning to think a small fire had started in the hallway until I realized this mass of smoke was dust that was now covering everything in my home!!!!!! Of course there is no way I can complain because that might make him mad considering I wanted this in the first place so I just smile and let him continue. Four days later the hallway is sanded....seriously four days later. Now there are two reasons for that and one being we were not too smart in our choice of sanding methods so it took three attempts to get it right and two my husband is the ultimate PERFECTIONIST. I am very thankful he loves to do a good job but my time and his time are two different things. Needless to say we both agreed that the living room was not going to be a part of this wonderful sanding experience. Fortunately the hallway was the worst part so I was happy.

Sanding is done now what? Cleaning up the mess and that was a chore in and of itself. We finally had everything cleaned up by Saturday morning so now it was prep time. Let me make something very clear I HATE to paint! Anyway we spent 3 hours taping off the ceiling and floors and we were finally ready to prime the trim. (We had that poopy brown trim so we wanted to paint it white) We primed everything and painted the walls a beautiful dark green and then the white trim. I was so happy on Sunday when we finished that I could have nearly cried....anyone who knows me well will tell you that I hate when my house is not in order it stresses me out so I was anxious to get everything in place and clean. So we let it dry until Monday night and I slowly started to pull off the tape....and what a wonderful surprise....the tape was pulling the paint off!!! What!?!?!?! We paid a small fortune for this "painters tape" that is supposed to prevent this and it was doing the total opposite. I think we both could have taken a sledge hammer to the walls at that point, hahahaha. We have now spent the last two nights doing touch up and it is finally done!!!

I am happy to report we are still happily married! We are starting the guest room/future baby's room this weekend and that is only painting so we should be okay. We are waiting on the bathroom vanity we ordered to come in and that will be a whole new experience. I hope to get a digital camera soon so I can post some pics for you all to see.

3 comments:

Rhonda Devine said...

Hahaha........I know exactly what it's like--try building a whole house together:)

T & A said...

You and I are so much alike. I don't care how the job gets done, I just want it done. Tim's motto is "If you're going to do it, do it right the first time." Which means with NO imperfections! We've had to learn to compromise and we're still happily married!

Beth said...

I guess you know by now, but peel the paint off as soon as you paint. Don't let it dry. Sorry. that must have been so frustrating!
i know what you mean too about remodeling w the love of your life. It's not too lovely!!! We each think our way is the best. enjoy!