Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Leap of Faith

Do you ever feel like God puts things in front of you just to see how you will respond to a situation? Now I do not mean trials just people or things in general. I remember many occasions where I truly believe God placed a stranger in my path to test my faith as well as my heart to see what my response to that person would be. It brings to mind a play where a family knows that Jesus is coming to dinner and they are so worried about him coming that they turn away and ignore people in need. In the end those people were representations of Jesus....basically that is what I am talking about.

You are probably wondering where I am going with this but this past week I came across something that has me reflecting on God's purpose for this person in my life. As many of you know I work full time but I also do bookkeeping for some small companies on the side to help them get started and on their feet. Long story short one of my side jobs I have been helping get this company out of near bankruptcy and I have met some very interesting people along the way. I am sad to say that my first impression of some of these people was based on my own fears of who I thought they were based on my own ignorance. I have seen some of the poorest families I have ever met and God just started pulling at my heart for these people. My pastor about three weeks ago gave us all a challenge to get three new people and share the gospel with them this year. My husband and I had already picked out our three each based on the obvious family and friends....but it seems God wanted to add a few more people to that list.

Last week this young man was hired to work at their company that we thought was going to be your typical guy who just needs a job...nothing special about him. I was called by the owner to come in and talk about him and come to find out this young man was homeless and living in his van. He had come to work that morning and told one of the ladies that his stomach hurt because he had not eaten in two days!! Okay now those who know me this is what I live for it to help those who have nothing so here come my tears. I went straight home to my husband who was in the car with me in minutes going to the grocery store and loading a cart full for this young man. We drove to the office and loaded up the fridge with food so when he came in each day he had breakfast, lunch and dinner. He was not there at the time but came shortly after we left and the owner called me telling me he was crying because he was so thankful for the food. Anyway I did not say any of that to get a pat on the back because I don't need one nor do I want one it is the right thing to do period.

Well it is amazing the way God uses something that seemed so natural for me and my husband to do to put alot of curiousity in their hearts. I finally told my husband I am going for it and I just picked up the phone and called the owner my first words were "Do you believe in God?" He was a little surprised but it started a very nice conversation about church and faith. He grew up in church along with his wife but some situations he saw pushed him away from it for many years. I invited them to go to church with us on Sunday and he thanked me for the invite but would let me know. I just figured that was his way of blowing me off so he would not hurt my feelings and I just kept praying for them. Yesterday I went into the office and he said we are coming to church with you on Sunday!!! His wife looked at me and said can we bring some of our friends too? So now they are coming, another couple they know are coming and the new kid said he needs to get back in church too. I was so excited I could have cried. It is a small step but it is better than nothing. It is amazing the chain reaction it creates when you take one leap of faith and just let God do the rest....two people have turned into five....that is awesome!

I would challenge all of us to reach out to those that take us out of our comfort zone and just see what happens. You will not "win" them all but they will never forget the times you tried. I saw this in my mother's life and to see the little things she did after she died that made a huge impact on friends and family will stick with me forever. God created all of us to do great things in this world and that one moment you pass up could be a moment he is testing you. Be ready and just GO FOR IT!!!

2 comments:

Rhonda Devine said...

Great post, Jenn--we too, were just challenged last Sunday about sharing our faith with those we meet. It helps you wake up each day and ask the Lord, "Who do you want me to be a blessing, encouragement, or share truth with today? Those opportunities will present themselves--we just have to be sensitive and bold to take them. You remind me of mom-love ya!

Beth said...

So convicting! Thanks Jenn. I always knew you were a good preacher! :) My parents were/ are such good examples of this too. I can't sit and watch how well others reach out though- I need to be a channel of Christs' love!